Tiramisu is a classic Italian dessert that is loved by people all around the world.
It is a layered dessert made with ladyfingers, espresso, mascarpone cheese, and cocoa powder.
The name “tiramisu” means “pick me up” in Italian, and it is said to have originated in the 1960s in the region of Veneto.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup strong espresso or brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine (optional)
- 1 pound ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Continue to whisk until the mixture reaches a temperature of 160°F.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk until the mixture has cooled to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese until smooth. Slowly fold the cheese into the egg yolk mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
- In a shallow dish, combine the espresso or coffee and Marsala wine (if using). Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee mixture, being sure not to soak them for too long.
- To assemble the tiramisu, spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture onto the bottom of a 9×13 inch dish. Arrange a single layer of ladyfingers on top of the mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle cocoa powder over the ladyfingers. Repeat layering until all ingredients have been used. Ending with a layer of mascarpone mixture on top.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Serve the tiramisu chilled, and dust the top with additional cocoa powder before serving.
- If you don’t have Marsala wine on hand, you can substitute it with any other sweet wine or even brandy.
- To make a chocolate tiramisu, you can add melted chocolate to the mascarpone mixture.
- You can also make individual servings by layering the ingredients in small glasses or cups.
The above recipe is not only delicious but also easy to make.
With a little bit of preparation and patience, you’ll be able to make the perfect tiramisu that will impress your friends and family.
It’s a perfect dessert for any occasion and can be served at any time of the day.
So, give this recipe a try, and you won’t be disappointed.